Sound Devices USBPre 2 Audio Interface
- SOU-USBPre 2
- Calculated at Checkout
Due to manufacturer's restrictions this item cannot be shipped outside of the United States.
USBPre 2 Portable High-Resolution Audio Interface
Sound Devices’ USBPre® 2 is a high-resolution, portable hardware interface for Mac- and Windows-based digital audio. The USBPre 2 is the industry's highest performance and most flexible portable interface, connecting professional microphones, line-level sources, consumer audio electronics, and S/PDIF digital sources with Mac OS and Windows computers via USB.
USBPre 2 Key Features
Precision Microphone Preamplifiers
USBPre 2 includes two discrete-transistor microphone preamps with 24-bit converters and sampling rates up to 192 kHz. These preamplifiers provide the highest performance in any portable interface. Their topology is shared with Sound Devices award-winning 744T Digital Audio Recorder. Peak limiters, high-pass filters, and a 15 dB pad provide overload protection. All analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion is performed by the USBPre 2 for superior audio performance.
USBPre 2 is a class-compliant audio device. This allows for simple plug-and-play connection to computers running Mac OS, Windows, and Linux (see note to the right on Class-Compliant Drivers). There are no drivers to install for the USBPre 2 and there are no software-only features. All additional controls and settings are available on back panel DIP switches. The USB port also provides power to the unit, both when connected as an audio interface and when used in Stand-Alone operation.
Output Connectivity Flexibility
To interconnect with sound systems big and small, the USBPre 2 includes numerous output connection types, including balanced mic- or line-level on XLR, unbalanced consumer line-level on RCA, S/PDIF coaxial (RCA) and optical (Toslink). The outputs have their own, dedicated front-panel level control. Use the balanced line-level signals to connect to powered loudspeakers. Use the optical S/PDIF to connect to hi-fi systems. Use the coaxial S/PDIF output in Stand-Alone mode for a portable microphone preamplifer with digital output for any production application.
Accurate signal level metering is essential for any sound engineer. The USBPre 2 includes a 23-segment, multicolor LED meter for precise level indication. The meter is switchable between input signal metering and playback signal metering. The meter indicates both VU and peak (PPM) ballistics.
The USBPre 2 can be used in Stand-Alone mode where it operates as a high-quality, portable microphone preamplifier and analog-to-digital converter. Digital signals connected to the USBPre 2 are converted to analog and available at the headphone, XLR, and RCA outputs. Stand-Alone operation requires the unit to be connected to a USB power source. Stand-Alone mode is a great option when an additional microphone preamplifer, A-D converter, or D-A converter is required.
Like all of Sound Devices products, the USBPre 2 is designed to stand up to the most demanding environments. Its extruded aluminum chassis and aluminum panels, machined knobs, metal connectors, and laser-etched nomenclature are designed to hold up to years of abuse.
Class Compliant Drivers
As a class-compliant audio device, the USBPre 2 is limited to a maximum data rate of 24-bit, 48 kHz in Windows, Linux, and Mac OS versions 10.4 to 10.5.7. Mac OS 10.5.8 and higher support the audio class 2.0 device and can address the USBPre 2 up to 24-bit, 192 kHz.
To enable higher sampling rates in Windows OS, download the available Windows ASIO driver.
- Extended bandwidth, low-noise microphone preamplifiers with 48 V phantom, limiters, high-pass filters, and 15 dB pad.
- Dynamic range greater than 114 dB (in 24-bit operation).
- Flat 10 Hz to 40 kHz (@96 kHz SR) audio bandwidth with very low distortion characteristics.
- Each input individually selectable between microphone, line, and aux level signals (both channels selected simultaneously for S/PDIF connections).
- Precision, 23-segment, multicolor LED peak/VU meter, selectable between input and output sources.
- High-output headphone amplifier can drive a wide range of headphones.
- Balanced outputs on XLR connectors with dedicated level control can be used to drive line- or mic-level inputs.
- Mix control enables zero-delay monitoring of source audio, computer audio, or a mix of both source and computer audio for multitrack recording or computer telephony.
- Phono (RCA) jacks connect Aux Output to external loudspeakers or preamplifiers.
- Bus powering via USB for convenient, single-cable connection to the computer.
- In Stand-Alone mode the USBPre 2 operates as a microphone preamplifier and analog-to-digital converter.
- Hardware loop-through for test & measurement to send computer audio directly back to an input.
- High-strength extruded aluminum chassis.
- Mac® OS X 10.4+, Windows®XP/Vista/7, and Linux, class-compliant audio device.
- Additional features controlled by hardware DIP switches on the back panel; no software-only features and no control panel.
Frequency Response (reference 1 kHz, at 96 kHz Sample Rate)
- 10 Hz - 40 kHz, ± 0.5 dB (any input to PC recording)
- 10 Hz - 40 kHz, ± 0.5 dB (PC source to AUX output)
THD+N (22 Hz - 22 kHz measurement bandwidth)
- 0.05% max (any input to PC recording, gain control at min, input driven to -6 dB FS)
- 0.009% max (AUX output, 0 dB V output, 100 ohm load)
- 0.05% max (HEADPHONES output, 2 V rms output, 600 ohm load)
E.I.N. (MIC inputs)
- -127 dBu min (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, 150 ohm source, gain control fully clockwise, 15 dB pad out)
Input Clipping Level (1% THD)
- Mic: -10 dBu
- Mic (15 dB pad): +4 dBu
- Line: +28 dBu (19.45 V rms)
- Aux: +9 dBu (2.18 V rms)
Input Sensitivity (typical, for 0 dB FS)
- Mic: -9 dBu min, -60 dBu max
- Mic (15 dB pad): +6 dBu min, -58 dBu max
- Line: +29 dBu min, +10 dBu max
- Aux: +12 dBu min, -7 dBu max.
Input Impedance (actual)
- Mic: 4k ohm, active-balanced
- Mic (15 dB pad): 4k ohm, active-balanced
- Line: 60k ohm, active-balanced
- Aux: 80k ohm, active-balanced
Input Limiter Threshold
- Mic: -4 dBFS
- Mic: 80 Hz, -3 dB, 12 dB per octave
Output Clipping Level (1% THD, PC-controlled output levels at max)
- Balanced XLR: +18 dBu with 100k ohm load
- Aux: +8 dBu (2.0 V rms) with 100k ohm load
- Headphones: +11 dBu (2.75 V rms) with 600 ohm load
- Headphone (Actual): 22 ohms
- Balanced XLR (Line level): 500 ohms
- Balanced XLR (Mic level): 5 ohms
- Aux: 2k ohms
- 24 or 16 bit input
- 24-bit resolution. 114 dB typical dynamic range (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, A-weighted)
- 24-bit resolution. 112 dB typical dynamic range (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, A-weighted)
Sample Rates / Bit Depths
- Recording: 8, 16, or 24-bit at 8, 16, 32, 44.1, 48, 96, or 192 kHz
- Playback: 24-bit at 8, 16, 32, 44.1, 48, 96, or 192 kHz
- Crystal based, low jitter
- 48 segments, 44 dB total range, peak ballistics. 0 dB on meter = 0 dB FS (0 dB referenced to full scale digital)
- 48 V through 6.8k ohm resistors. Each mic input will supply 10 mA
- USB bus powered, soft-start meets USB hot-plugging power requirements (5 V, 100 mA max current drawn during enumeration)
- 5 V, 500 mA max current from USB port (USBPre 2 will not function if connected through a passive USB connection or hub)
- 4.3 cm x 18 cm x 10 cm (H x W x D)
- 1.7 in. x 7.25 in. x 4.25 in. (H x W x D)
- 0.5 kg
- 1.13 lbs.
- Meets FCC Part 15 Class B
- Complies with the Requirements of European Directive 89/336/EEC
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
DVeStore does not pay import fees for international shipments.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.
You can view the UPS Shipping Map below to estimate delivery time for your UPS Ground package.
At DveStore we work diligently to protect the safety and security of our customers and our assets.
All orders are at our discretion to be checked for fraudulent activity on varying levels of research. If we are unable to verify your payment through the information you have provided, we will communicate what is needed for us to move forward with the order process. Additional information, including but not limited to, a photo ID, passport and/or payment details may be requested. Orders processed with Paypal secure payment system will never be asked for credit card information. Should you choose to check out with Paypal, we ask that you reference or use the email address which your Paypal account is linked to.
DveStore’s integrity to communicate with our customers holds true in our payment processing procedures. Questions or concerns are always welcomed.Returns
Call: 1 (360) 653-7063
All products carry a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason, you may return the product for your money back less shipping charges, within 30 days of the original purchase. If the product has been used, a 15% re-stock fee may apply at our discretion.
To return an item for a refund, first call or email us to receive an RMA number. Please package item in all original packaging from the manufacturer, including any manuals, warranty cards and etc. (Missing these items will automatically subject the item to the 15% restocking fee) Please ship the item back with the RMA # written on the outside of the package: please do not write on or place stickers/labels on the original manufacturer's packaging.