Current Top Sellers
DVe Store Educates
Our mission is to help our customers create better video.
We hire industry professionals so when you contact us for assistance, you will be talking with fellow creators!
Sanken CS3e Short Shotgun Microphone
This is one of our favorite mics. In fact, everyone that has ever come into the store to try one out has walked out with one. They're that good. And that's after comparing to a variety of other mics. Take a look at a thread over on DVinfo.net, the title of the forum post is "Sanken CS-3E - A magic mic?" In the thread, one of the sound crew from, "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button" even chimes in to recommend the mic and talks about how they used it in the film.
We have clients using this mic on ESPN, VH1, and on other major television networks. If you're going to invest $5k+ on a camera - plan on spending at least half of that on good audio - because remember - audio is 50% of the project!
Ah, and one more interesting note from Ty Ford - one of the capsules on the CS-3e is at the tip of the mic - this is unlike every other shotgun mic where the capsule is at the base of the interference tube. This allows you a few extra inches - and sometimes every inch matters!
Here is a great sample of the Sanken CS-3e
"Believe it or not the Sanken CS-3e ships in a nice case, however it does not come with a foam windshield. I'd like to help you get that included. When purchasing, simply put "Free Sanken CS-3FW" in the comments field during checkout, and we'll be sure to include this handy item at no charge!"
From the Manufacturer:
"The Sanken CS-3E shotgun microphone provides convenient camera mountable size with the directional signal reproduction and range expected of larger, professional shotgun microphones. The CS-3E is designed for directional dialog capturing in studios or on location. The microphone implements 3 directional capsules arranged in a front-to-back array resulting in phenomenal super-cardioid directivity at high, mid and low frequencies. The CS-3E is capable of maintaining high signal quality at longer distances, making it ideal for ceiling and overhead placement. In addition to exceptional super-cardioid off-axis rejection, the microphone capsule eliminates low-frequency proximity effect when used in close proximity to the signal source. Measuring only 10 inches in length, the CS-3E is a candidate for camera or boom pole mounting scenarios. High Super-Cardioid Directivity Three capsules arranged in a linear array provide a super-cardioid directional pattern that rivals conventional phase interference shotgun microphones. High Pass Filter A high pass filter switch eliminates noise and rumble caused by wind, handling and more.
Eliminates Proximity Effect The CS-3E eliminates proximity effect and low-frequency overload caused by close microphone placement. Convenient Size Measuring about 10 inches, the CS-3E is perfect for both camera or boom pole mounting applications."
"Dude! I'm on a break shooting at children's hospital. I had to email because the cs3e is so awesome it's insane. It is killing it compared to the ntg3. We're shooting dire stuff and I'm trying not to smile from the mic working so well! Thank you so much!!!"
1. The CS-3e stands out among shotgun microphones because it maintains directivity over an extremely wide frequency range, especially in the low frequencies. Because of its unique design, the CS-3e is an excellent choice for use in difficult applications, such as close-to-ceiling positions or locations near a noisy camera. Even in such challenging situations, the excellent side and rear rejection of the CS-3e helps to capture only the targeted dialogue without ambient reverberation problems. The CS-3e delivers sharp directional sound even in the lower frequencies. Sanken's original design results in a low proximity effect which facilitates working in a scene close-up and wide, while producing little change in sound character. In the CS-3e, three directional capsules are arranged in a front-back array to combine line microphone performance and second-order pressure gradient response in a single system. With this unique design, the CS-3e achieves phenomenal super-cardioid directivity in the lowest frequencies and throughout the full range in a microphone only 27cm (10 inches) in length. It is significant that the CS-3e picks up the targeted frontal sound sources with exceptional clarity over a wide frequency range - even in noisy ambient environments or in long reverberation spaces - by rejecting undesired noise and sounds coming from the rear and sides. The CS-3e is small and lightweight with a low-cut switch to satisfy the various needs of location and studio recording. The standard 19mm diameter permits use of a wide range of accessories developed for enhanced performance and field mobility. When a conventional shotgun microphone is near the sound source, proximity effect results in a boosting of certain low frequencies and slight masking of others. The CS-3e virtually eliminates the proximity effect and maintains sharp directivity, while the sonic characteristics do not change with varied distances between sources and microphone. This is a significant advantage over all other directional microphones.
Additional comments: "CS-3e In case of the CS-3e, frequency keeps flat till 70Hz. then starts steep drop in approx 25dB/OCT. When HPF is ON, drop starts from 180Hz until 80Hz slope is 6dB/OCT, and slope changes to 20dB/OCT below 80Hz. REASON: According to our research, and feedback from users, in actual use of shotgun, specially to pick up menâ€™s voice in rich and full bodied sound frame, frequency response till 70Hz is essential. However, from realistic point of view in practical shotgun use frequency below 50Hz is not needed, it can cause more harm than good. Richest part of men's voice is between 100Hz and 400Hz.The richest part of a woman`s voice is 300Hz to 1.5Khz. But, in the case of the CS-3, frequency drop starts from 200Hz, and at 50Hz approx 8dB decreased from 200Hz. And because of not steep slope, even in 20 Hz,the CS-3 still has comparatively high sensitivity, and it's unwanted. Therefore, in the case of the CS-3e, we have decided to keep flat response till 70Hz and have steep drop consciously, with the HPF ON, this drop starts from 180Hz. This way, we aimed to get rich and full-bodied human's voice, and reject unwanted low-end. REJECTION of signal from other angle (sharp directivity): When we look at the frequency graph, the CS-3 has 10dB reduction in the signal from 90 degree, at 100Hz, 200Hz, and 15dB in 500Hz and nearly 20dB or less above 1kHz. How about the signal from 180 degree? 10dB in 50 Hz, 18dB in 100Hz to 500Hz, and approx 20dB over 2kHz reduction. The CS-3e, 90 degree, 10dB in 50Hz to 200Hz, 20dB in 2kHz and over 3kHz reduction is more than 20dB. In case of 180degree, more than 10dB in 60Hz, more than 20dB in 200Hz, and keep this reduction till 10kHz. THUS, we can see a sharp directivity is kept in low-mid range in CS-3e. Also, the E version has a more extended (more natural) low frequency response than the original CS-3. The E version has slightly lower self noise, but more importantly the reduction in noise is in the upper mid frequencies where the noise is most likely to be noticed (and the reduction most appreciated)." Joe Sanken
What's in the Box:
- 1 Year Warranty
- Directivity: Super Cardioid / lobar
- Transducer: DC biased condenser
- Frequency range: 50Hz - 20kHz
- Sensitivity (nominal at 1kHz): 50mV/Pa (-26dB,0dB=1V/Pa)
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 15dB-A
- Max SPL (1% THD): 120dB SPL
- Output impedance at 1KHz: 120 ohms
- Powering: +48±4V phantom
- Current consumption: less than 3mA
- Weight: 120g
- Dimensions: 270mm X 19mm (diameter)
- Surface finish: matte black
- Connector: XLR-3M
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
DVeStore does not pay import fees for international shipments.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.
You can view the UPS Shipping Map below to estimate delivery time for your UPS Ground package.
At DveStore we work diligently to protect the safety and security of our customers and our assets.
All orders are at our discretion to be checked for fraudulent activity on varying levels of research. If we are unable to verify your payment through the information you have provided, we will communicate what is needed for us to move forward with the order process. Additional information, including but not limited to, a photo ID, passport and/or payment details may be requested. Orders processed with Paypal secure payment system will never be asked for credit card information. Should you choose to check out with Paypal, we ask that you reference or use the email address which your Paypal account is linked to.
DveStore’s integrity to communicate with our customers holds true in our payment processing procedures. Questions or concerns are always welcomed.Returns
Call: 1 (360) 653-7063
All products carry a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason, you may return the product for your money back less shipping charges, within 30 days of the original purchase. If the product has been used, a 15% re-stock fee may apply at our discretion.
To return an item for a refund, first call or email us to receive an RMA number. Please package item in all original packaging from the manufacturer, including any manuals, warranty cards and etc. (Missing these items will automatically subject the item to the 15% restocking fee) Please ship the item back with the RMA # written on the outside of the package: please do not write on or place stickers/labels on the original manufacturer's packaging.